Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

New Possibilities...Setting Sail...


Above Pic: My Fall DTS Small Group (L-R): Me, Jenn (BC, Canada), Christy (OR), Emily (England), and Jentry (MT).

I am not going on outreach with this school but have the amazing opportunity to serve on a 42 meter sailing ship called the Next Wave with YWAM’s Marine Reach Ministries for January and February. This came about through praying about what I would do between staffing the fall and spring schools at YWAM Montana (I am staffing Spring ’09 DTS), a desire to go back on outreach, to go on a boat, and back to the Mediterranean. When I searched the internet, I found YWAM had ship ministry, and a ship would be in the Mediterranean! The purpose of the Next Wave is “to demonstrate Christ’s heart of hope and compassion to those in need around the world” through humanitarian and reconciliation efforts (mercy ministries such as medical teams, community development), and evangelistic outreaches while training its staff and crew in character and leadership development, “[raising] up leaders of tomorrow” (http://www.marine reach.info ; /?page_id=61 ; /?page_id=33).

While I am there, a School of Biblical Studies and DTS outreach will be on board, and we will be in the Mediterranean area, the port in Sicily, and sailing to the DTS’s outreach locations (possibly to some of Paul’s missionary locations). As of yet, I do not know my specific jobs, but I will be crew, supporting the needs of the ship, staff, and students. I also hope to grow in new ways and learn more about community, discipleship, and leadership through this new aspect of YWAM community and ministry. I am excited to be on outreach, to minister to staff and students, and to reach out to the locals. Also, we may be docking in Izmir, Turkey, my outreach location this spring. If this happens, I would be so blessed to reconnect with the friends I made there--I pray the Lord would work and reveal Himself through ongoing friendships with them!

Thank you for being a part of my adventures. May Christ bless you this Christmas season. Shannon

No comments: