Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Life's Little & Larger Blessings - The Sweet & Sour - But It's a Pretty Sweet Start!

When I get to fly I get a little excited. I love to travel. and fly. and watch people in airports. and be anonymous. and the mystery, the intrigue of strangers.

Travel is Seasoned - Both Sweet and Sour. 
The sour can make the blessings sweeter, and both contribute to make memorable stories. (Note: If this post sounds in any way corny or dorky, it is. I am a dork. Embrace it.) Sour comes saying goodbyes to family and friends. Sweet goes hellos to South Africa's friends and experiences. Sour comes my heavy luggage. Sweet is that its makes weight, and I don't have to pay fees for my checked bags (and I get a workout)! My airplane seat reading light doesn't work - but my sweet neighbor likes to read a lot and shares hers with me. Sadly, that same seat is broken and won't recline for my 10 hour overnight flight to South Africa - but I SO appreciate a bed right now. Airplane food usually bites the dust, but I am so hungry I rave about the pasta. Sweet that I make all my flights (including my luggage) when I sometimes wait less than 10 minutes or another time run through Frankfurt airport to get there late and still make it!  Thank you, Lord, through the sweet and sour!

Unusual snow in Hamburg, Germany - the Rooftops (my fav pic).

Sweet Conversations
The older English gentleman sitting next to me on my LONG flight from Chicago to London was the grandfatherly type in the best sort of way. We chattered on about history and family history - he's researching his ancestry. Not only do I enjoy history which I studied at university, but I would love to research more of my family history someday - I wrote a paper on my Italian side at uni (as the British say university).

Sweet Stops.
Along with South Africa, one of my greatest prayers these past 2 years was to visit a dear friend (from YWAM Montana) in Germany. It so worked out I could take a longer layover for the same ticket price! As I was escaping from winter U.S.A. to warmer - summer - weather in South Africa, I found myself in one of the greatest cold fronts in Europe. Hamburg was at its coldest in years - "the event" was to venture out of the uncommonly frozen lake and slide around in our boots! I have a new appreciation for our personal cars in rural Montana as Hamburg transportation meant freezing walks to the bus, train, and subway stops! But blessings abounded including European history, international flava', encouragement, prayers, and the bond of friendship.

On my German stop for a coffee to warm up - it's bitterly cold out!

Sweet Starts.
And I'm off to a running start! Although a bit tired (from that stiff seat and left over jet lag), I was reunited with my friends, mentors, and founders of Hope Africa Collective. In my first full day "in country," the team and I set out for the township of Philippi, pronounced "Phill - i (short i sound) - ppe." I cleaned the office closet - normal stuff happens here too - and 30 students registered for the Life Skills course out of over 90 applicants! The team and I will be participating in the classes, building relationships, and learning how to teach these classes for the future! We have two dedicated, veteran teachers leading us. As the students learn job skills and both Christians and non-Christians join these courses, I love that under the surface they are learning Bible based values and being challenged personally. It is the hope for transformation to be from the heart (internal) to the external (living) and from individual to the community. I think that one of our leaders said it best that it is "presenting skills for them to live life to the fullest." (Note: Pics in South Africa coming soon.)

Sweet Prayers.
Classes begin Monday, February 13th! Please pray:
  • For all of our 30 students to show up Monday morning - open and willing to learn.
  • Prepare their hearts and minds.
  • Our teachers and team - to be sensitive to how God is working in the classroom.
  • Team bonding.
  • Peace and rest in the midst of 2 busy months - new classes, learning, training... (not to stress and increased capacity and memory).
  • Setting up the computer skills classroom - internet, electricity, computers, etc.
  • Housing for me - affordable and the right fit for place and roommate. Help me to "know."
  • Settling in - (cell phone - done today!) furnishings, food, and down the road - a car... And time to get things done.
  • Friendships.
  • Time with God. Renewal.

Hopefully, you are able to identify all the Sweet Praises I included in this post! Thank you all for your love, prayers, and support! Maybe I am in the first days of blissful, surreal beginnings, but I think that's okay. Reflecting on the good and the bad, the little and the larger blessings today is highlighting how truly great our God is! and I guess He's pretty sweet too.

____________________________________________________________________
Let me know: What is God highlighting in your life as Sweet and Sour lately, this week, today? How can you be thankful for the sweet and the sour? 


You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'd love to hear from you! 

Blessings, 

                     Shannon

No comments: