Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

how i watch my pennies...roll away less fast (a budding conservationist?)

You may not know, but I like to think that I can do my little bit to help the environment and to conserve less. I am probably spurred on by my lightweight coin purse, and being a missionary, some things can be hard to find and/or can cost more overseas so I'm not completely altruistic. But in today's consumerist society, maybe I can consume less, reuse, recycle, and save a little more. Maybe I can take a little time to wash and reuse, spend a little more on replaceables, and find that my wants are not really my needs. 

I know that I am not an expert, and there are probably a lot more things I should be doing but am not. And you may laugh at the things I do, but you can laugh along with me and adopt a few.

  • So I cut open by facial cleanser container to get every last drop. When your at the end of your shampoo or lotion, turn your bottle upside down into a cup. Store these in ziplock bags to keep between uses.
  • Wash and reuse ziplock bags...unless they are yucky. 
  • Eat your leftovers. Don't let your food spoil. This may take more planning, but think of how much we waste (even if you have to think of 'starving children' - I'm okay with guilt trips).
  • Put the plug in the sick, and run the water faucet less. Learned this in countries where there are water shortages.
  • Downsize and De-clutter. Donate to Good Will/Salvation Army or yard sale the clothes/stuff that you never wear/use. Identify which clothes don't fit well and get rid of them. Save the ones that do fit and make you feel great. Save (even spending a bit more on better quality) for a few items which are essential, can be dressed up or down, and are timeless. Spend less money on items that will be in season and out the next.
  • Shop Second Hand (Good Will, Salvation Army, garage/yard sales), but be educated. Basically, know the going price at Walmart or Target, and have your list of what you NEED so you don't overbuy. You may think you are getting a deal, but many deals add up to big bills.
  • You know the saying, "If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down"? Sounds gross, but think of the gallons of clean water (in the U.S.) you will be saving! Exceptions to this are if it's smelly, you have company, or are staying with friends. :)
  • Patch your jeans. Mend rips and holes. Cut off your outdated dress, and you have a shirt. Okay, that one may take more skill, but mending isn't rocket science and can be done during your less favorite tv show.

This doesn't mean I don't ever have a Starbucks coffee or a meal out (or buy a new shirt), but saving your treats actually makes them treats - they will taste better. These are just a few hints. But if you have a suggestion that you're doing, let me know and comment below!

No comments: