Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

disclaimer for saving pennies post - don't become a hoarder!

So I got to thinking about my last post, ways to save money, and becoming a conservationist, and I saw how easily one could error in this regard. While it's all well and good to save plastic tubs for leftovers or small plastic bottles to put shampoo in for traveling - this does not mean that you need 50 of them if you really only need 6 bottles for any given vacation (my mom). Or the 100 hundred cardboard boxes in your garage for the packages you mail...if you only mail 20 said packages in a given year, you can feasibly get rid of 80! The key words are Downsize and Simplicity - not more clutter! Physical clutter not only clutters our minds, and if not that (because I do realize to some people clutter isn't clutter...I don't work that way so that's as far as I can go with that thought - but I know those people exist) it will make guests uncomfortable, and the neighbors will talk about your 'hoarder' garage.

Speaking of hoarders, have you ever watched those hoarder shows on tv?! I love these shows - and audibly cringe! I love it because they help people psychologically but also to get rid of stuff and organize. But YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A HOARDER - for your own well-being. I know - I was in a hoarder house once before I ever knew what a hoarder was. And honestly, think about going through your stuff for your kids. I've already talked about this with my mom (who agrees with me), and thank the Lord, she just started going through her boxes of papers (she's not a hoarder, just has lots of papers)!

Just don't be this! Instead watch Hoarders on A&E or aetv.com for motivation!
Photo Credit: Hoarders via aetv.com


Another thing that got me thinking about this are websites where people sell stupid stuff (cuz yes, I wasted some time looking at these ridiculous posts the other day). Now garage sales can kinda get away with selling some junk cuz some people come to these to buy junk they will sell at their garage sales next year (you are I are the exception here - we buy 'finds' and 'treasures'). But we don't need to save junk which we see some hidden use for - that we actually would put forth the effort put together that 'thing' for it's 'great use' is fantasy! The too-ripped jeans in the wrong place which you're not going to wear or patch (you better not), throw out - especially if you have 5 pair! You can't (and won't) reuse your broken lamp that's been sitting in the closet for 5 years!

So with these 3 easy to remember, simple steps I think we can be helped from erring:
  1. Don't be a HOARDER.
  2. Get rid of it.
  3. DO IT NOW.
I'm writing this as much for myself as for you. On our altruistic journey to conservation (not really?), let's be nice to our kids, our visitors, our neighbors, and ourselves. Let's take out the trash.

What's your story (while being nice to other people you mention)? Are you a hoarder or just keep too much of something? What is that stupid thing you save for a 'good' reason? What will help downsize and simplify?

No comments: