Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Woundedness and Blessing - Winter 2008 Update

Friends,

I don’t believe this letter could even begin express the emotions I have been through in recent months. Let me say, it has been a very low, desolate valley physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I felt a bit of the valley described in Psalm 23 but also knowing the promises of God to be with me and comfort me. I am not trying to paint a hopeless picture, but I am trying to be honest with where I was to where I am now. There is such an extreme difference.

Please bear with the long length of the letter. Try to read it all—it begins with the present, upcoming outreach, important needs, and prayer requests, and then goes back in time to November, to bring more understanding.

Outreach in March:
I am heading on outreach to a Mediterranean country [e-mail me if you want to know which one] March 18 through May 15, and I am so excited for what God has prepared for me and my team! Please remember to keep me in your prayers during this time.

My Needs:
I also am short on monthly financial support. The initial monthly pledges I raised was enough to get started in YWAM last June, but I knew from the beginning that it would not be enough long term. Please pray about it, and if you feel that God is leading you to give either with monthly support or a special gift, e-mail me. If you are already supporting me, I so thank you for your continued sacrifice.

Outreach Prayer Requests:


- Continued health for me and my team.

- Continued healing of the wounds in my life.

- Wisdom and strength for me and the other leaders, Matt (MO) and Jon (MN), as we lead together.

- Team unity, compassion, encouragement, and boldness for members.

- Discernment into ministry opportunities.

- Divine appointments with the native people.

- Friends made easily and hearts open.

- Unity and one-mindedness as we love and serve the missionaries and the local church.

- Potential ministries: worship, music, dance, art, church service, Bible study, youth, women, orphans, hospitals, schools, teaching English, playing soccer, in the parks, visiting…

Season of Sickness:
I caught the flu beginning of November, was sick for three weeks, went to the doctor, was put on antibiotics, felt better for two days, and then I caught a cold. I went back to the doctor mid-December and found out I had mono! No wonder why I wasn’t getting better!

In November I ended my last month with the Fall Discipleship Training School running on empty. The Lord was so gracious to me during that time to give me just enough. My small group girls came back from their outreaches the end of January and are at their homes seeking the future God has for them. All four of my girls are pursuing further missions and in YWAM at this time—this is a rare and awesome circumstance! But praise be to God because He is calling so many of the 50 students in the fall school as missionaries (four students stayed behind in Thailand to continue further ministry). I am so proud of my girls—they have experienced so much freedom from the past and are growing closer to the Lord! How I love them!

Well, fatigue and illness continued as I began preparations in December for the Winter DTS. I did not have a chance to rest (to aide my recovery from mono) during Christmas break, but I did have wonderful opportunities to visit friends in my old hometown of Redding, CA and family in Minneapolis, MN and Menomonie, WI.

Season of Woundedness:

I came back to the base thinking I had all I could handle and just sought a few days respite before the Winter DTS began, only to open my dorm door and find my room flooded by a broken water pipe! I had to move my roommates’ and my things out for several days. Thankfully, there was little damage, and I got new carpet!

Season of Sustenance:

Winter DTS began while I was a mess, feeling so fatigued and emotionally fragile. I was to teach a 1 ½-2 hour session on Bible Meditation the first week of class and knew God was calling me to that, but I was burdened with so much with my wounds. Even through the dark places of January and part of February I saw God meeting my needs and being my sufficiency, giving me energy, wisdom, and the words, with my teaching, my interactions with the DTS, with my small group girls, and one-on-ones. It was a very, very difficult time and so hard to open myself up to be vulnerable, but God gave me discernment and His voice when I needed it.

I was set back with pneumonia the end of January, beginning of February and went back to the doctor for more medication. My leadership and I agreed that I should stay behind and rest the week of mini-outreach to Seattle, WA, first, because of the mono, and then because of the pneumonia. This was the only week off I actually had my whole time being sick, and it was so good to catch up on sleep and rest (I hadn’t slept well since before October). I also started taking a lot of vitamins and supplements to boost my defenseless immune system

Season of Healing:

It’s been really amazing to see how I have been blessed to connect with my girls. God has been such a faithful provider. I feel so content and at home every time I am in my small group or discipling my girls. I truly love it and have been given such a compassionate heart for each girl.

Season of Blessing:
If only you could see my girls through my eyes! Not only do I minister to them, they bless me so much by even praying for and encouraging me!!! Again, God knew just what I needed, understanding girls, who would receive well from me, but also who would give out of the love God is revealing to them.

I began to feel so much better in all areas of my life. Before I had felt that to even put on my dance clothes to dance was too much effort, but the last few weeks I have began dancing again! I have two girls from the dance track on my outreach team, so I am working a lot with them (a friend and I are choreographing dances). How I love dancing again and having the energy to do it!

Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support! I wouldn’t be able to do this without you! I am privileged with the greatest blessing of discipling and empowering students to pursue God and missions!

God bless,

Shannon

No comments: