Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

October 27 - Why My Birthday Is Cool

On a random day or maybe as you got closer to that expectant or looming day (depending on the number and well, your state of mind), have you ever wondered how many people you know of who share your birthday? 

...and not the year because that is harder to find. All of my life I have encountered multiple people sharing the same birthday, but my own day October 27th, remained mine alone. Maybe I saw this as "I am unique and have my own special day." But probably not, because I don't always have the best memories of birthdays. Being a shy little girl and not liking surprises, I was reduced me to tears one birthday when my mom invited guests over without my knowledge. In college I was one of the oldest of my friends and after not having a great day anyway, I was surprised with an "Over the Hill" party, tombstone, black balloons and all - I was turning the "ripe, old" age of 23. They weren't all bad, mind you - my friends were saying they loved and valued me - in an interesting way. My 26th birthday was quite memorable - on a good note - when my friends and a bunch of my high school youth group girls surprised me. They were mostly 16 year olds... What a great way to feel young again!

But I still wanted to share a birthday. When I was a child, I thought twins were cool, so sharing a birthday would be cool too. I went on to meet people with birthdays October 26th and October 28th but still not on my day. My first college roommate's birthday was exactly one week before mine, October 21st, and we were born the same year too.  In 2008, I met my birthday twin - finally, albeit he was born a decade earlier and from far away - another country Brazil and continent South America. He was a student in YWAM's Discipleship Training School that I staffed that year. Then 2011 rolled around with another "special" day that I'm not too keen on - my 32nd year - #1) because yes, maybe I need to comes to terms with aging, and #2) I don't like the attention which comes from big groups that are often a part of birthdays. There was cause for joy of the best kind that birthday - my cousin gave birth to a precious baby boy! This is special for me because I will at least remember one relative's birthday, and I have another great reason to celebrate.

So why write about my birthday today? Well, 32 years and some odd months later I happened to look up famous people who share my special day via the scientific means of Google. Here are a few:  

1466 - Erasmus, Dutch humanist and theologian (d. 1536)  - interesting...
1728 - James Cook, Scotland, captain/explorer, discovered Sandwich Islands
1809 - Peter "Peerke" Donders, Dutch RC missionary to Suriname
1811 - Issac Merrit Singer, inventor (1st practical home sewing machine) - that's for you, mom.
1858 - Theodore Roosevelt, NYC, (R) 26th Pres (1901-09; Nobel 1906) - U.S. President, Rough Rider...
1872 - Emily Post, authority on social behavior/writer (Etiquette)
1873 - Henry Tate, composer
1896 - Edith Haisman, Titanic survivor - could it be Rose from the blockbuster movie? ;)
1917 - Oliver Tambo, co-founder (African National Congress) - commonality with South Africa.
1932 - Sylvia Plath, [Victoria Lucas], US, poet (Colossus, 3 Women, Bell Jar)
1984 - Kelly Osbourne, English television personality - haha, for the younger generation!
(From http://www.historyorb.com/birthdays/october/27)

Many interesting people did come out of that day. Some of them did pretty great things, but the results of my life do not need to be rated big or small or compared to others. Someone bigger than me gives my life worth and value because He is worthy. It gives me hope that although part of my life is spent - some of it wasted and mistakes made - there is a reason to my life because I was created with purpose. 

Psalm 139:13-16 are often quoted for this, but it is so beautifully true.

"For you formed my inward parts;
   you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
   my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
   intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
   the days that were formed for me,
   when as yet there was none of them."(ESV)

It was no mistake that I was born October 27th and have lived 32 full years and maybe, I'll live on - one moment, one day, one year at a time.


What are your thoughts about your birthday? Anyone intriguing or notable to you who you share a birthday with? Does this affect you? If so, how?


To look up your own famous birthday, go to http://www.historyorb.com/today/birthdays.php (or look up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), but be inspired to live who you were made to be - purposefully created to be unlike any other! You can also look up famous events on that day: http://www.historyorb.com/events-on-this-day.php and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.





No comments: