Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

School of Dance Studies Promo Video - Featuring My Students

Students dancing "Independence Surrender"
Photo Credit: SODS Staff/Student

I am so excited to share with you the talents of my School of Dance Studies students through this promotional video for their school (below)! The Communications department at YWAM Montana did an amazing job producing this video, and my students worked so hard - I can't believe the qualified people we have here at YWAM Montana desiring to serve God in missions! And this only shows a small excerpt of the talent and work they did during their 6 month lecture phase. 

A couple weeks ago they performed their final dance concerts, one concert with group dances they choreographed and a second concert with staff and guest artist choreography. I even had the opportunity to choreograph a dance for them entitled "Independence Surrender," based on Ecclesiastes 4:10, "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" This dance represents how we should not walk with a "spirit of independence" in our lives, but that God is beside us to that we can lean on Him, and He places people in our lives (the Body of Christ) so that we are held up by them. I need not walk alone nor try to accomplish things on my own, but I am made to be in relationship as God the Father demonstrated with His Son and the Spirit. I love that image, and that it is not man-made but is shown to us from the Beginning!

Setting a dance on the students was definitely a challenge for me as I have little choreographing experience! I hit some walls along the way, but somehow knew I should do it (as my wise school leader and frienddid too). In the end, I learned that I have more creativity in me that I thought I did, and I have more vision for making something difficult rather than just settling for making something easy. Sometime I hope to get the video of my students' performances to share with you (or at least portions).

 

No comments: